Signed in as:
Signed in as:
by Amber Belt, ND
Good news, bad news. The good news is that most people recover from the initial symptoms of their concussion within 2-4 weeks. The bad news is that 20% of people don’t recover and experience post-concussion syndrome. It can be hell.
Post-concussion syndrome can even stick around for YEARS after the initial head injury! And the symptoms can impact so many areas of life.
What are some of the symptoms of post-concussion syndrome?
· Difficulty concentrating
· Brain fog
· Poor memory
· Sensitivity to light and noise
· Irritability and mood changes
Who is most likely to suffer from post-concussion syndrome?
· Older adults
· People who have anxiety or other mood issues
· People with previous concussion
· Migraine headache sufferers
· People with epilepsy
· People serving in the military
Concussion care is near and dear to my heart because I play roller derby and see concussions happen. This has driven me to create a protocol that has been very successful for patients with #headinjuries.
My protocol generally includes some of these elements:
· Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
· Targeted nutrients such as glutathione and B vitamins
· Targeted herbs such as turmeric and Boswellia
· Homeopathic remedies that may include Arnica Montana
· Balancing neurosteroids such as pregnenolone and progesterone
· Physical therapy
If you are struggling with post-concussion syndrome, know that the treatment options are many. Naturopathic medicine is amazingly well suited at addressing post-concussion syndrome. If you need help with concussion recovery, contact your naturopathic physician.